UPSC Combined Medical Services (CMS) Exam Pattern Details
Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) All India Combined Medical Services (CMS) Examination, pattern and scheme of examination are described in below paragraphs..
UPSC CMS Exam Pattern: The Combined Medical Services (CMS) Examination will consist of written examination and Interview in 2 Parts. There will be Part-I for written examination and Part II will be for Personality Test / Interview. Written examination consists 2 papers; each paper carries 250 maximum marks and 2 hours duration . The candidates who qualify the Part I Exam, will be called for Part II (Personality Test) process.
Examination Shall be conducted in Two Parts:
- Part I: Written Examination (500 Marks)
- Part II: Personality Test (100 Marks)
1. Part I: Written Examination: The candidates will take the Written examination in two papers (Paper I & Paper II), each paper carrying a maximum of 250 marks. Each paper will be of two hours duration.
Paper-I & Maximum Marks are given below:
- General Ability 30 Questions
- General Medicine 70 Questions
- pediatrics 20 Questions
Total questions in Paper I = 120 (30 General Ability, 70 General Medicine and 20 pediatrics).
Paper-II & Maximum Marks are given below:
- Surgery 40 questions
- gynaecology & obstetrics 40 questions
- Preventive & social medicine 40 questions
Total questions in Paper II= 120 (40 Surgery, 40 Gynaecology & Obstetrics and 40 Preventive & Social Medicine).
- There will be penalty (Negative Making) for wrong answers marked by a candidates in the objective type question papers.
- There are four alternatives for the answers to every question.
- If a question is left blank i.e no answer is given by the candidates, there will be no penalty for that question.
- Candidates are not permitted to use calculators for answering objective type papers.
2. Part II: Personality Test: Candidates who qualifies in the written examination will be called for Interview/ Personality Test to be conducted by the UPSC. The Interview/ Personality Test will carry 100 marks.
- The Interview for personality test will be intended to serve as a supplement to the written examination for testing the General Knowledge and ability of the candidates in the fields of their academic study and also in the nature of personality test to assess the candidate’s Intellectual curiosity, integrity of character, initiative and capability for leadership.
More Details: For more details regarding Eligibility Criteria, Syllabus, Selection Procedure and other Instructions please refer the links given below:
UPSC Combined Medical Services (CMS) Exam Notice 2014
UPSC Combined Medical Services (CMS) Exam Eligibility
UPSC Combined Medical Services (CMS) Exam Syllabus
UPSC Combined Medical Services (CMS) Exam Selection Process