Syllabus for Screening Test of Asst Engineers (Civil)
Engineering Mechanics: Statics; unit and dimensions SI units, vectors, co-planar and non-co-planar force systems, equations of equilibrium, free body diagrams, static friction, virtual. work, distributed force systems, first and second moments of area, mass moment of Inertia.
Kinematics and Dynamics: Velocity and acceleration in Cartesian and curvilinear coordinate systems, equations of motion and their integration, principles of conservation of energy and momentum, collision of elastic bodies, rotation of rigid bodies about fixed axis, simple harmonic motion.
Strength of Materials: elastic, isotropic and homogeneous materials, stress and strain, elastic constants, relation among elastic constants, axially loaded determinate and indeterminate members, shear force and bending moment diagrams, theory of simple bending, shear stress distribution, stitched beams.
Deflection of Beams: Macaulay method, Mohr theorems, Conjugate beam method, torsion, torsion of circular shafts, combined bending, torsion and axial thrust, close coiled helical springs Strain Energy, strain energy in direct stress, sheer stress, bending and torsion.
- Thin and thick cylinders, columns and struts, Euler and Rankine loads, principal stresses and strains in two dimensions – Mohr circle-theories of elastic failure. Structural Analysis: indeterminate beams, propped, fixed and continuous beams, shear force and bending moment diagrams, deflections, three hindged and two hindged arches, rib shortening, temperature effects, influence lines.
Trusses: Method of joints and method of sections, deflections of plane pin jointed trusses.
- Rigid Frames: Analysis of rigid frames and continuous beams by theorem of three moments, moments distribution method, slope deflection method, Kani method and column analogy method, matrix analysis; Rolling loads and influence lines for beams and pin-jointed girders.
- Soil Mechanics: Classification and identification of soils, phase relationships; surface tension and apillary phenomena in soils, laboratory and field determination of co-efficient of permeability; seepage forces, flow nets, critical hydraulic gradient, permeability of stratified deposits; Theory of compaction, compaction control, total and effective stresses, pore pressure coefficient, shear strength parameters in terms of total and effective stress, Mohr-Coulomb theory; total and effective stress analysis of soil slopes; active and passive pressures, Rankine and Coulomb theories of earth pressure, pressure, distribution on trench sheeting, retaining walls, sheet pile walls: soil consolidation, Terzaghione-dimensional theory of consolidation, primary and secondary settlement.
Foundation Engineering: Exploratory program for sub-surface investigations, common types of boring and sampling, field test and their interpretation, water level of observations;. Stress distribution beneath loaded areas by Boussinesq and Steinbrenner methods, use of influence charts, contact pressure distribution determination of ultimate bearing capacity by Terzaghi, Skempton and Hansen’s methods; allowable bearing pressure beneath footings and rafts; settlement criteria, design aspects of footings and rafts; bearing capactiy of piles and pile groups, pile load tests, underreamed piles for swelling soil; Well foundations, conditions of statical equilibrium, vibration analysis of single degree freedom system, general considerations for design of machine foundations; earthquake effects on soil foundation systems, liquefaction.
- Fluid Mechanics: Fluid properties, fluid statics, forces on plane and curved surfaces. Stability of floating and submerged bodies
- Kinematics: Velocity streamlines, continuity equation, accelerations, irrotational and rotational flow, velocity potential and stream functions, flow net, separation and stagnation.
- Dynamics: Euler’s equation along stream line, energy and momentum equations, Bernoulli’s theorem, applications to pipe flow and free surface flows, free and forced vortices.
- Dimensional Analysis and similitude: Buckingham’s Pi theorem, dimensionless, parameters, similarities, undistorted and distorted models.
Syllabus for Screening Test Asst Engineer (Mechanical)
- Statics: Simple applications of equilibrium equations.
- Dynamics: Simple applications of equations of motion, simple harmonic motion, work energy, power.
- Theory of Machines: Simple examples of links and mechanics. Classification of gears, standard gear tooth profiles, Classification of bearing. Function of fly wheel. Types of governors. Statics and dynamic balancing. Simple examples of vibration of bars. Whirling of shafts.
- Mechanics of solids: Stress, strain, Hook’s Law, elastic modulii, Bending moments and shearing force diagrams for beams. Simple bending and torsion of beams springs, thin walled cylinders Mechanical properties and material testing.
- Manufacturing Science: Mechanics of metal cutting, tool life, economics of machining, cutting tool materials. Basic machining processes, types of machine tools, transfer lines, shearing drawing, spinning, rolling, forging, extrusion. Different types of casting and welding methods.
- Production Management: Method and time study, motion economy and work space design, operation and flow process charts. Product design and cost selection of manufacturing process. Break even analysis, Site selection, plant layout, Materials handling, selection of equipment for job, shop and mass production, Scheduling, dispatching routing.
- Thermodynamics: Heat, work and temperature, First and second laws of thermodynamics, Carnot, Rankine, Otto and Diesel Cycles.
- Fluid Mechanics: Hydro-statics Continuity equation, Bernoulli’s theorem. Flow through pipes. Discharge measurement. Laminar and Turbulent flow, concept of boundary layer.
- Heat Transfer: Heat transfer by conduction, Convection and Radiation. One dimensional steady state conduction through walls and cylinders. Fins, Concept of thermal boundary layer. Heat transfer, coefficient, Combined heat transfer, coefficient, Heat ex changers.
- Energy Conversion: Compression and spark ignition engines, Compressors, fans and blowers. Hydraulic pumps and turbines Thermal turbo machines.
Boiler Flow of stream through nozzles layout of power plants.
Environmental Control Refrigeration cycles, refrigeration equipment- its operation and maintenance, important refrigerants, Psych-metrics comfort, cooling and de-humidification.
Syllabus for Screening Test of Asst Engineer (Electric)
Primary and secondary cells Dry accumulators, Solar Cells, Steady state analysis of d.c. and a.c. network, network theorems; network functions, Laplace techniques, transient response; frequency response; three- phase networks; inductively coupled circuits.
Mathematical Modelling of dynamic linear systems, transfer functions, block diagrams; stability of control systems. Electrostatic and magneto static field analysis; Maxwell’s equations. Wave equations and electromagnetic waves.
Basic Methods of measurements, standards, error analysis; indicating instruments, cathode ray oscilloscope, measurement of voltage; current; power resistance, inductance, capacitance, frequency, time and flux, electronic meters.
Vacuum based and Semi conductor devices and analysis of electronic Circuits; single and multistage audio, and radio, small signal and large signal amplifiers: oscillators and feed back amplifiers; wave shaping circuits and time base generators: multivibrators and digital circuits; modulation and demodulation circuits, Transmission line at audio, radio and U.H. Frequencies; Wire and Radio communication.
Generation of e.m.f. and torque in rotation machine; motor and generator characteristics of d.c. synchronous and induction machines, equivalent circuits; commutation starters; phase diagram, losses, regulation, power transformers.
Modelling of transmission lines, steady, state and transient stability, surge phenomena and insulation coordination; protective devices and schemes for power system equipment.